[SECC] Amps

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:44:26 -0400

On 6/21/01 11:43 AM, Jay Pryor at jpryor@arches.uga.edu wrote:

>I'm having some electrical work done at the house and thought I would get
>the electrician to run a 220V line to the shack, for an amplifier when I
>add one.  How many amps should the 220V line be?

At least 15. I wired mine with 14/2, and I had to cobble together a
two-pole 15 amp breaker. (I couldn't find a Cutler-Hammer breaker for 15
amp two-pole)

In retrospect, I should have wired it with 12/2, and used a two-pole 20
amp breaker. (Which is easily available from Cutler-Hammer)

15 amps at 220V is 3300 watts, which should be more than enough for a
full-gallon output.

20 amps at 220V is 4400 watts, which is plenty of power. Probably enough
to run TWO smaller amps.

--

I'd wire with 12/2, and install 20 amp breaker. If you have to install an
electrical box, I'd recommend a GE box. Much easier to find all kinds of

Oh, and be sure to install an outlet with a different shape than a
standard 120V outlet. Mine has one horizontal leg, and the other can be
vertical or horizontal.

(Some of you may wonder why I have an amplifier outlet and no amp --
well, wiring is cheap, but amplifiers aren't. I figure I'll wire the
outlet in the event I buy an amp. So, now I've had an outlet for 15 years
at two QTHs and still no amp...)

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901