[SECC] Amps

Keith LaBorde Keith LaBorde" <wd5bjq@arrl.net
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:49:59 -0400

Anything with a 4cx800a is the way to go.
I purchased some new ones last month for $40.00 each in lots of 8 or more.

When you look at the cost of retubing a Ameritron, the Alpha is a better
value of
the long run.

Keith, WD5BJQ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Macie, Gordon" <gmacie@xmmcorp.com>
To: "Jay Pryor" <jpryor@arches.uga.edu>
Cc: <secc@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 1:07 PM
Subject: RE: [SECC] Amps

> I will be in the market also. I am not up to speed on tubes. I looked at
the Ameritron's at Dayton. The AL-1200 AND AL-1500 use almost all the same
components. There is a small circuit board in the 1500 for warmup.. The
filament transformer and the tube of course are differenct. Seems the 1200
has a more rugged tube.. I have a 3 hole alpha 374. Whats the consensous as
far a manufacturers. Other than Alpha who's the best ?? QRO , Commander ,
etc are new since i've been inactive a few years.. I am concerned about
replacement tube prices.. I think thats the problem with 374's.. Is the
3cx800 a good way to go ??..