[SECC] NCJ -The National Contest Journal Sept/Oct 2004 - ContestRcvr Data

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Sep 5 23:41:10 EDT 2004

On Sep 5, 2004, at 10:53 PM, John Vickers wrote:

> Bills post (several) started out as "Sept/Oct NCJ article on DX
> Prowess" I
> think. It can be read in the archives (this month) of the
> CQ-Contest at contesting.com. You may want to search back to the start of
> the
> thread --- may date back into last month ?

Although I respect Bill W4ZV's opinion, I think he's a bit off on this
one issue. He's comparing the K2 performance against the Orion. He
should be comparing the K2 against an older rig with a 15 kHz roofing
filter.

Yes, he's absolutely correct that the IMD and BDR of the K2 deteriorate
closer to the receiver frequency. This is because the first IF (and
only) filter doesn't have particularly sharp skirts. Then again, it
cost somewhere between 1/6 and 1/3 of the price of the Orion (depending
on what options you buy).

But from actual USE of the K2, I find it's receiver performance
comparable with the FT-1000MP. I don't sense any degradation tuning
close to strong signals. The variable-bandwidth filter is plenty narrow
on CW for my tastes, and I can hear only single signals even on a
crowded contest band.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901