[SECC] NAQP and Shannon

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 14 10:01:58 EST 2008

  For those of you that were wondering about why there were bunch of people using
the name "Shannon" in the NAQP CW. Several members of the MRRC , NCC
and FCG were doing this as a tribute to the daughter of Ron Harps, K8NZ. Ron's
daughter was murdered outside her apartment complex on December 31st in Seattle,
WA. She was only 31 years old. I wish I would of known about this tribute as I would of
done the same. See a link to the story below.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=stabbing03m&date=20080103&query=shannon+harps

For those who don't know Ron, He was one of the founding members of the Mad River RC and
the North Coast Contesters. He is also the other half of the K8AZ contest station that both Tom
and he built together.  K8NZ retired a couple years ago and he and his wife moved to the Ft Meyers, FL area. He is now a member of the FCG.

I have known K8NZ since I was 16 years old and my first experience at operating at a "real" contest station was at Ron's back in maybe in 1977 in the Ten Meter Contest. He was also a part of the PJ2Z operation I put together for 2001 CQWW DX SSB (see http://www.pj2t.org/ ). He was also part
of the HI3A operation lead by K1TO in the CQWW DX CW contest this past November.

This is very tragic story that really puts what's important in life in perspective.

73, Jeff KU8E