[SECC] Yamaha CM-500 Headphone Mod

Bob Wilson w4bw at w4bw.net
Fri Aug 12 17:39:09 PDT 2011

To all

I'll take a chance and share my solution to making the CM-500 headset plug
compatible with the Heil.  My CM-500 came from Sam Ash Music ($45) and had a
battery box to contain two AA batteries to power the Electret mic element
and as Hal noted, the Mic audio output with this power source in line is
much higher than the Heil elements.  My solution was to open the box by
removing the screws inside - between the batteries - and perform the
surgical procedure per the attached MS Word file - if it comes through ok.
You must change the 3-conductor plug on the battery box to a 2-conductor for
it to work consistently with the Heil radio adapter "Y" cables.  The
resistor values are of course not critical, as it's just a voltage divider,
but I know of probably 8-10 headsets that have been thusly modified and it
seems to work fine.  The transmit audio response if pretty flat, as is
typical for Electret mics, so Mic EQ is recommended, especially for other
than rag chewing.

My batteries have been going for about 8 months now with no issue noted.

cul

Bob Wilson - W4BW