[SEDXC] Re: Priorities

Sandy Donahue w4ru@yahoo.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 05:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

Recently the Florida Contest Group asked for a statement from the two
Vice Director candidiates to be published in their bulletin. Here is
what I wrote for them. 73 Sandy, W4RU. SM-Ga.
The issues in this election are two! Experience and priorities. I have
40 years of licensing experience in a wide variety of amateur radio
activities. Contesting, ARES, Traffic, VHF-UHF weak signal work,
digital and DX. More importantly leadership. I am in my third term as
Section Manager of Georgia. I am responsible for ALL activites in my
section...the largest geographically with more ARRL members than any
section in the  Southeastern Division. I have been SM of Ga almost as
long as my opponent has been licensed!  I have been Asst Director (AD)
to Frank Butler, W4RH, since way before my opponent has been licensed.
The AD job is an honorary one, with no offical responsibilities. Before
becoming SM in Ga, I was the Affiliated Club Coordinator (ACC) and an
Asst SM to K4JNL, the SM in the eighties. The ACC works with clubs to
obtain and retain affiliation and works with affiliated clubs to
progress to Special Service Club status. Georgia has about 55 clubs.
Priorities: My opponent says the the CC&R issue is the most important
issue we face. That is ridiculous. The most important transcendant
issue, is defense of frequencies. If we don't have frequencies, we
don't need to worry about deed restrictions on out antennas. As a part
of defense of frequencies, is ARRL membership. The more members, the
more clout we have with the decision makers in Washington and Geneva
who decide our fate. CC&Rs are important but take a back seat to
defense of frequencies.
Please check out www.w4ru.com for more details.This is an important
election. The next Vice Director will probably be the next Director. I
am by far the most experienced, best qualified candidate. RU4RU? 73
Sandy