[SEDXC] What's with the IRC's lately...

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 5 17:11:01 EDT 2005

Most of the requests are for one IRC or $2.00 US.  Supposedly, an IRC
can still be exchanged in any country member of the UPU for one unit of
air mail postage.  But that same stamp costs more than $1.00 US in
Germany and several other foreign countries, but not nearly all of them.
  I think it is still OK for $1.00 to more than half of the countries,
but I don't know which are which except Germany, which is what you hear
from every German QSL manager.  I did see recently where one station on
his QRZ.COM listing (was it in an African island country?) requested 2
IRCs.  I did send the 2 IRCs, but with a little resentment.

I don't think any post offices are selling the old style IRCs now.  They
had no expiration dates on them, but many overseas post offices are
apparently reluctant to accept them because they don't look like what
they are selling now.  There are even older IRCs circulating still that
have no value as all post office have stopped accepting any but the last
two series.

Note that the ones you buy today (I purchased six at the downtown branch
of the post office in Columbus today) have an expiration date on them.
I think it is Dec. 31, 2006.  So you would want to use or redeem any of
them well before the end of 2006.

Maybe someone in Keith's area can tell him where there is a post office
that keeps IRCs in stock and knows how to issue them.  I have been
unsuccessful over the years in attempts to buy IRCs at the post offices
in Valdosta and Thomasville (where I hold court in the same buildings as
the post offices) because they don't order any and don't keep any in
stock.  The larger and busier the post office, it seems to me, the more
likely they are to keep IRCs in stock.  I suspect I am the only one
buying them at my post office, but if I buy them out, they order more to
replace them.

Be sure when you buy them that the post office employee puts the hand
cancelled date stamp on the circle on the left side of the IRC, where it
says something like "emmitteur," which I guess means place of issuance
in French.  If they stamp the right side circle (where the redeeming
post office is to stamp the IRC), they have ruined it.  It will have no
value and you should refuse to pay for it or accept it.

73,

John, K4BAI.

P.S.  If your post office is like mine, the scanners on the new computer
system will not scan the IRCs and the postal employee has to hand enter
a code for IRCs instead of scanning the IRC itself.  The IRC has a bar
code on it, but it doesn't work with the current computer system.  I'm
guessing that the new series one assumes will be issued next year will
work with the scanners.  I don't know the code, but if you find a post
office with IRCs that just can't find the code so they can sell them,
let me know and I'll get the code from my post office and e-mail it to you.