[SEDXC] K4JRB Update

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 29 22:19:47 EST 2007

Friday Morning I came down with a flu that made me ache all over but Temp
was between 100 and 101 and the wife was watching me like a hawk so no
re-occurrence of the 103 I ran for 5 days in 2001 and a stay at Northside.

I had been having terrible spasms from trigeminal
neuralgia too (the scourge of a phone man) the week before so could only
operate a hour or so each day.   The Carolina Sort 80 and IC-740 plus the
borrowed TS-130S ran like champs with several CW QSOs made thanks to the
130S CW filter.

Then the family PC blew and this PC I am using is upstairs and the rig has
no PC.  I tried to grab the daughters Dell notebook (no deal the daught
said)and even tried to get the old MMX 166 running (finally did) but alas
all the logging programs were either on the W98 PC that went to the scrap
heap or upstairs.  K8CC tells me the NA will run on the MMX (W95V2) but he
gave me a list of mods to make and its not worth the effort as we should
have a new PC in a couple of weeks.

So I will try to key in all the 240 Q's I have (hopefully I can add a few
more)  into NA upstairs
in post contest mode or maybe Excel to create a .csv file.  I hope I can get
my entry in before Mid Nov *what say Gary*.

I had planned to pass rare 40 and 75 meter spots along to NQ4I.  Hats off to
Paul N4PN for his terrific score on 40.  He beat NQ4I by 400Q's
I thought 40 was capable of 1100 Q's in my test runs the past few years
(100+ in an hour).  Geez
in the past two years UC0CT (zone 18)and UK9AA were S9+ on my Cushcraft 2
el.  I must have a good 40 meter location as I have worked all of the recent
Dxpeditions with 100 watts and the Carolina thru big pile ups..sort of like
N4RJ working 3Y5 on 75 with 120 watts and a 35 foot high long wire last
winter.

Oh well by January maybe I will have one of the FT-980's fixed and a fully
programmed PC at the operators desk.  No SO2R but maybe later in 2008.

Hey the doc is allowing me to operate single band and a few of the regional
contests (Oceania, Holyland) so things are looking up.  Fun is just around
the corner!

73 Dave K4JRB