[SEDXC] Plasma TV's - RFI

John May johnmay at k6may.com
Fri Sep 28 00:45:38 EDT 2007

In 2001, I bought a Sony KV-36XBR450 36 inch HDTV (CRT).  The RFI
hash wiped out 20 through 10 meters.  The RFI could be received on my
mobile HF rig for about two miles from my house!  How this set ever
passed FCC testing?  After a couple of calls to Sony, they sent an
engineer from California to my house in Atlanta.  The engineer
thought that the noise was coming from a switching power supply.
After his visit, Sony called me back and bought the set back from me
(at the price I paid).

Circuit City (where I bought the set) let me come into the store
(before store hours) with my mobile HF rig.  Every Sony HDTV in the
store had the same RFI problem (no matter what the screen size).  It
didn't stop until the salesman turned every Sony HDTV.

Sony normally makes a good product and I have to say that their
service, in this case, was outstanding.

I ended up buying a Panasonic HDTV.  Since then, I have had plasma,
rear projection, and LCD (all HDTV) sets from Sony, Pioneer, and
Vizio with no RFI problems.

Surprisingly, I been happiest with the Vizio LCD from Costco (I was a
Pioneer Elite snob).  For the price and quality, it's hard to beat.

Thanks, John K6MAY.