[SEDXC] DUCIE LOWBAND

k4pi k4pi at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 2 08:36:18 EST 2008

Thought I would pass this post from the VP6D gang along in case some of you
may not have read it.  I hear a lot of frustration come out when DX stations
are asking for EU or JA and they are strong here in the USA.  There are
reasons that directive calling is used by DXpeditons.

The "check back later technique":

On the lower frequency bands, openings to the most difficult regions of the
world are more predictable. For example, on 160m we expect Europe to be
heard from Ducie Island sunset (about 0300z) until the end of European
sunrise. That opening is only 1 hour for zone 17, about 2.5 hours for zone
16/20, about 3.5 hours for zone 15, about 4.5 hours for zone 14, and
finishes at 0800z for Ireland and Scotland. Stations in zones 16, 17 and 20
will be much weaker that stations in zones 15 or 14. But, when the sun sets
on Ducie Island, 160m is also open to all of North America, where operators
are just relaxing in front of the radio in the evening. Of course, North
America signals on 160m will be MUCH louder than zone 16 or 17 signals.

The logical approach is to ask the North American stations to "check back
later", near the end of the European opening. At 0730z, very few European
signals will be left on this band... but we still have over 6 hours of
propagation to North America... overlapping with 5 hours to east Asia. DXers
can expect to hear the low band operators asking for Europe until about
0700-0800z, and announcing every 10 minutes that VP6DX will be ready to
start working North America at, for example, 0730z. North American DXers
should "check back later" at the announced time.