[SEDXC] Great Circle Map

NN4ZZ Mail al at nn4zz.com
Sun Feb 3 11:01:22 EST 2008

Roger / SM3GSJ created a program a few years ago to create Great Circle Maps.  These are great for pointing your antennas and can be printed large enough to see from a distance.  His original DOS based program is still available.

http://hem.passagen.se/sm3gsj/

He has also published some newer versions for windows but they are still works in progress.  I couldn't get them to run on XP .  I've been in contact with Roger over the last month asking if he has an update in the works.  He sent me a new development version that does run on XP.  It's not ready for prime time but to make a long story short, it works and creates a .jpg output.

I've created a map with Atlanta as the center and posted it on my web page.   The maps are now in "topo color."  I added the continent names and vector lines in an image editing tool since those features are not in the development version.  If you need a GCM centered on Atlanta, just click on the thumbnail to bring up the full size map and then save a copy to you disk (it is about 1 MB).  You can use your favorite image editing software to modify the legend or add your call, etc.

www.nn4zz.com

The link is on Row 4, Column 2

73...Al