[SEDXC] Need Parts To Build A Remote Switch for Balanced Line Feeds

k4hb k4hb at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 12:42:05 EST 2008

I constructed a remote antenna switch a few years ago. My controller consists of a 5 position switch and built in power supply for 12/24 volts. It's nice to be able to switch antennas and the dummy load with a simple rotary switch. When the controller is off, all antennas are automatically grounded. I found the enclosures, switches, LEDs. cable, parts for the power supply, etc. from Mouser. http://www.mouser.com/

  Since I wanted to run power on 80 and 160 and use a tuner, I installed vacuum relays. They can handle the current and have good isolation. If you only plan on running 100 watts, perhaps other types of relays will work fine. The vacuum relays were purchased from Max-Gain Systems in Marietta. (Owned by club member WB4GNT) http://www.mgs4u.com/
  DX-Engineering has a remote antenna switch already assembled if you would rather go that route. http://www.dxengineering.com/

Clark Macaulay <clarkmacaulay at yahoo.com> wrote:
  In order to increase my DX covereage so I can get to Asia, I'm putting up a second wire antenna: a doublet fed with balanced line. I'm also converting my G5RV from coax feed to ballanced line to reduce the losses on the WARC bands (so it becomes a 102 ft doublet). Now I need to switch the lines to my tuner and would like to do it with a remote switch so there is only one line into the shack. As near as I can tell, no one makes such a critter. What recommendations do you have about the type of relays and where to get them? Power I run is typically QRP to 100w but I would like to have the capacity to run up to 1KW.

73 de Clark ke4rq

73, Hal K4HB
http://www.k4hb.com
http://www.Hi-TechRedneck.com