[SEDXC] TUNER CAPS

k4pi at bellsouth.net k4pi at bellsouth.net
Wed May 7 12:44:31 EDT 2014

Thanks for the input.  I did find a comment finally in an online manual for an ATR-30 that sheds some light on the subject.

The capacitors have maximum capacitance at 0 and minimum capacitance at 10. In simple language, as frequency is increased normal control operating positions rotate clockwise.

I guess that makes some sense although I always seemed to relate more capacitance with higher settings.  They go on to say....

Note: Always use the most capacitance (capacitor settings closest to 0) allowing a “match”. This insures the tuner is being operated with the highest power handling capacity and least loss possible. Use the lowest possible inductance (the highest number possible) on the turns counter.Increasing the capacitor setting numbers and decreasing the INDUCTANCE number (on a given frequency) INCREASES matching range. This also REDUCES efficiency and power handling capability of the tuner!

73  Mike