[SEDXC] DISTANT REMOTES

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jul 28 23:20:07 EDT 2015

Joe,

The DXCC rules are what they are, and they have been that way since the
1980's.

I thought it was illogical to permit people to move long distances and keep
DXCC, and I objected. I thought it was a bad idea for the FCC to drop
station requirements, and to not require signing portable. I voiced my
opinion to the FCC on that.

I wonder how many others objected by writing letters?

> Using a phone patch or powered repeater has never been permitted
> for DXCC (other than satellite DXCC).  Remote stations sound
> suspiciously like a phone patch or powered repeater.

According to who? I worked W6YY in the CQWW in 1963, and he was using a
radio link remote. That wasn't a repeater, and anything he worked counted
just like he worked it from home.

A land line remote, as well as a microwave or radio link remote, has been
legal for a long time.

>> 3.) Anyone could move anywhere, visit anywhere, or remote anywhere
>> and as long as it is inside the lower 48 it counts
>
> So?  Now your permitting teleportation - moving from coast to cost
> within seconds.  That's a whole different kettle of fish ...

**I'm ** not permitting anything. The rules are what the rules are.

Remotes have been legal and have counted for DXCC as long as I can remember.

DXCC has been to the callsign, and not the station, operator, or location,
for at least 30 years. I don't know why anyone would not know that.

I've never worked DXCC to compare my girth or worth to someone else. I work
it for me. I'm the same to me or to anyone else no matter what someone else
does. I just like working real weak difficult DX, or a brand new one. But I
work it for me, not the public.

When I look at people, I don't 313/297 tattooed on their foreheads.

Maybe that is why I don't understand the complaining? To me, the complaining
mostly looks like people with an advantage over other people don't want
other people to enjoy what they like in radio.

73 Tom