[SESprint] N2NL's Sprint Tips (FWIW)

K4RO Kirk Pickering sesprint@contesting.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:17:26 -0500

Thanks Dave N2NL for some of the best Sprint reading
I have done in a long while.  Although your tips may be
geographicaly-oriented, there is a lot of useful info
for every operator, regardless of location.

I'll toss in a few more tips.  This info is from one of those
ops N2NL described who has tried for years before breaking
300 QSOs.  I finally did it last February.  I am NOT a gifted
CW op by any means, but practice is getting me near a point
of at least proficiency.  The top ops already know all of what
I'm about to say, and a whole lot more.

Tip 1.
Listen to recordings of the contest.  Find them on the web
(sites have already been posted here, N6TR's for one) or
even better, make your own recordings.  This is a contest
where you must hit the ground running.  Listening to recordings
the week before the contest can help your brain get into the
rhythm of the Sprint.  It can really reduce the shock factor
at 0000z.  Listening to your own recordings can help you
evaluate what you are doing right, and what you are doing wrong.

Tip 2.
Don't be afraid to send faster than you think you can copy.
If AN, PA, or TJ calls you when you're CQing at 30 WPM, don't
be afraid to dump them the excahange at 40WPM.  They can handle it,
and will probably be grateful that you saved them some time. You
saved yourself some time also.  You'll also be surprised at the
speeds you can copy at, especially if it's not your first Sprint.
Bottom line -- don't be shy about CW speed with the capable ops,
and don't underestimate your own CW abiltiy when your adrenaline
is pumping nice and fast.

Tip 3.
Turn on your radio NOW and find the fastest CW station on the air.
Listen to him, and just get used to copying QRQ CW, even if it is
way above your comfortable speed.  You'll be surprised at what you
can copy when you relax. Do this exercise every day before the contest.
Even better -- jump in there and make QRQ QSOs.  The more you operate,
the better prepared you will be for the Big Game.

Tip 4.
R-e-l-a-x.  N2NL already touched on this.  If you find yourself
getting overwhelmed, take a few deep breaths, spin the dial,
and call CQ.  The next QSO will help calm you down if you are
too flustered to search for the next "duplet" QSO pair. Staying
focused while your adrenaline is pumping 250% above normal is
one of the great challenges and delights of the Sprint!

Let's keep W4 on the map in the Sprint.  C U this weekend.

73,

-Kirk  K4RO