[NZ4O Spaceweather] Daily Discussion Of Solar Space & Geomagnetic Weather Conditions

Thomas F Giella NZ4O nz4o at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Oct 15 10:40:03 EDT 2012

Published on Monday October 15, 2012 at 1400 UTC. Valid for the next 24
hours.
1.) DISCUSSION OF SOLAR, SPACE & GEOMAGNETIC WEATHER CONDITIONS THAT CAN
IMPACT MF & HF RADIO WAVE PROPAGATION IN A NEGATIVE MANNER-

I operated on 10 meters early this morning UTC using the digital mode JT65A.
I saw lot's of single hop and double hop sporadic E (Es) and trans
equatorial (TEP) radio wave propagation. As the Kp index finally fell under
a 3 and the background x-ray flux rose in response to new sunspot group
activity, I did see some east-west F2 layer radio wave propagation.

For the 18th day in a row the daily sunspot number has languished below 100,
currently at 97.

There are no other significant impediments to good radio wave propagation on
the HF bands as far as solar, space and geomagnetic weather. However the
daily sunspot number needs to be higher than the present 97, as the higher
the sunspot number (100 >) (150 & > best) the more ultraviolet light
available to increase ionization in the F/F2 layer, for more consistent
east-west radio wave propagation openings on 12 and 10 meters.

On the medium frequency (MF) bands there is the normal absorption of RF
signals in the D layer due to incoming cosmic rays and hard x-rays. Also the
background x-ray flux is running in the C range so there is some additional
minor absorption of RF signals in the D layer. Also there is RF signal
absorption via the E layer on high and mid latitude propagation paths due to
unsettled (Kp-3) to active (Kp-4) geomagnetic conditions.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o at tampabay.rr.com

NZ4O Amateur & SWL Radio Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.com
NZ4O "Daily" HF/6M Radio Wave Propagation Forecast:
http://www.solarcycle24.org
NZ4O "Daily" Solar, Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o1.htm
NZ4O Solar Space, Weather & Geomagnetic Data Dashboard:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o2.htm
NZ4O Solar Cycle 24 Forecast Discussion & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm
NZ4O 160 Meter (MF) Radio Propagation Theory Notes:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o5.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Raw Forecast Data Links:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o6.htm
Solar Cycle 24 dot org on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SolarCycle24org/139198369462931