Computer interface

Arlan Levitan arlan@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 21:44:49 -0500

I went through the same grief as you a few months back, and neither the
factory or AEA (my logging software provider) were any help.  I borrowed an
RS-232 breakout box from the datacom guys at work and finally sussed out
what was going on here.

As I recall, the trick to making everything work work is to only connect
Send Data, Receive Data, and Ground at the computer end of things. Leave
all other pins open at the computer end...if you pass CTS, RTS, DSR, DTR or
any other pins through, the Remote tuning knob is not likely to operate
properly. If you loopback CTS/RTS and/or DSR/DTR as the Omni VI manual
suggests your logging software's rig tuning control may be hosed (at least
LogWindows is).

True, you won't find Y cables in computer stores, but it's easy enough to
cobble up one yourself as long as you know what not do do. I removed the
RS-232 connector from my 301 and tacked the leads onto the appropriate pins
on the DB25 female end of my #236 cable (P.S. I got the latter from Ham
Station...they had a few lying from their dealer days for $30, which is $15
less than the factory charges today).

73 DE K8OW
(happily using the 301 with my Omni VI, LogWindows, 253 AutoTuner and Herc
II)