I am new...

K8DO@aol.com K8DO@aol.com
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:07:49 -0500

Hi Clark....
I have the Omni Vi, so my comments aimed there...

>2.  I am also interested in discussing alignment of the PBT control
>for the OMNI VI, or maybe setting of the carrier points in
>the first IF?  I would like to get the "sound" to be different
>when the PBT control is centered, in both USB and LSB.

Because the Omni VI is designed for the contestor/dx crowd, narrow skirts and
adjacent signal rejection in heavy qrm are the intent.. limited audio
response is the trade off for the steep, narrow skirts... I doubt that this
is adjustable in any fashion... The width and shape of the audio skirts are
set by the crystal filters which are specified by the designer....slight
adjustment of the PBT gives acceptable _contest_ audio to my ear...

>3.  Further, I would love to discuss adding some gain to the IF
>where both 500 Hz or both 250 Hz CW filters are being used.  There is
>some real loss going on there, even with the extra amplification
>in the first IF set properly.

Hmmm... I haven't noticed this... it gets much quieter because you have
sliced off about 1.7 kc of noise and clatter when you hit the narrow
button... but I do not notice any decrease in the audio volume of the cw sig
if it is centered in the filter... have you changed the side tone from the
default?...

>4.  Well, I also want to discuss the "loud" (relatively) relay
>clicking when I use full QSK CW.  I think I might pot the thing
>but want to discuss alternatives.  I like very quiet QSK.

I use the menu to turn the amplifier relay off for 'quiet' qsk.... but, I
also use headphones for this...

Cheers   ...   Denny    k8do@aol.com