Omni-6 notes

K8DO@aol.com K8DO@aol.com
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:07:18 -0500

>Sidetone should be relative to the current volume of the radio.  If the
>volume of the radio is zero, then sidetone is zero.  In other words, the
>sidetone level control simply controls the side level in respect to the
>current volume.

Hmmmm....  Yes and No....
If I am listening to the speaker and the background noise level in the shack
is high and I increase the audio level, then having the side tone level
increase with it is good/helpful...
If I am listening with headphones and I increase the audio volume to better
hear a weak station, then having the side tone level increase is
bad/painful...
So, Bill's suggestion should be menu selectable for the given situation....
Alternatively, I feel sidetone should be available on a front panel knob...
since I never use the rit knob, I would vote for being able to menu select
this knob for side tone volume instead of rit...and the xit skirt for
changing the sidetone frequency...

Denny