[TenTec] All my friends love a low....driver...? -Reply

Paul Plasters PEPLASTERS@mail.rkd.snds.com
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:15:22 -0500

On Field day, a Semi truck pulled into our site, wanting to know what field
day was all about.  He seemed impressed with our efforts.  He then
talked to us of his and his friends C.B. rigs.  He was running 1200 watts.
 His friend was running over 2000 watts.  (in their trucks)
My own very seldom used amp. was aquired from a C. B. er.  it runs
1200 watts just fine, and was modified for 27 meg.  The point I am trying
to make is The law is not stopping C. B. ers from using illegal power.  It is
a real hinderance to some Amateurs though.  Of course as Amateurs we
should be able to easily construct an amplifier!  I have built several over
the years.  My problem is I can not build 1 that works as good as a
commercial unit for the purchase price of said commercial unit.

    o~
  _[-/)_
(_)\/\(=)-ooo...
Ride to live-Live to ride
Paul WA9FFL "wa9ffl@aol.com"

 08/14/97 02:20pm >>>

>At 09:34 AM 8/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>I have, and am very satisfied with my Argo. I also know that there are a
>number of other QRP rigs being manufactured. My question is, why are
there
>no small linears that will boost output from these rigs up to 70-80 watts
>or so?
>
>Bill Ames
>KB1LG

Good question, with a good answer.  There are no "QRP drive" HF linear
amplifiers.  In 1978, the FCC took action in response to numerous
complaints about the illegal use of linear amplifiers in the
27 MHz band, and made it illegal for commercial manufacturers to sell
any amplifier enabled for use between 24 and 35 MHz.

<snipped>

It is important to note that none of these regulations applies
to the use of amplifiers by licensed amateurs assuming that they
meet other legal requirements as were mentioned here previously,
only that they cannot be manufactured commercially and offered
for sale.

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Parkway, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
  Contact Mon-Fri Eastern time:  Office/Tech (423) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
  Repair (423) 428-0364 8 am-4 pm.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
  Fax (423) 428-4483 24 hrs.  E-mail <sales@tentec.com> for sales and
  general product info only.  We presently do not offer repair or
  kit building tech support by electronic mail, please telephone.
  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>

  Ten-Tec manufactures amateur radio equipment, military and
commerical
  use HF radio equipment, custom aluminum and steel enclosures and has
an
  on-premises, fully equipped tool and die facility supplying the metal
  and plastic injection mold industries.  Potential tool and die, custom
  enclosure or communications electronics customer?  Contact us.
  We do small quantity jobs.