[TenTec] Mobiling

seweber@netnitco.net seweber@netnitco.net
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:39:16 -0500

>I think I will try to use my old faithful OMNI D. Anybody ever use
>one for mobile?
>Thanks again.
>Bill W5EC

I use my triton IV mobile.  The most important piece of information that I
can pass on is this: Be absolutely positively sure that you don't even
think about transmitting without using the model 1140 magnetic trip circuit
breaker on the 12V line.  That is the only protection for the finals when
you are not using the TenTec power supply!!!  There is no power foldback
circuit on these older TenTecs, and if you let the SWR get too high just
ONE time, you pop the output transistors.Very unforgiving. No second
chances. Trust me, I know!!!

TenTec no longer supplies this breaker, but they have information as to
what will work.  It must be magnetic trip, not thermal or thermal/magnetic.
You need the instant trip that can only be had with the magnetic breaker.

Did I mention that it has to be an instant trip magnetic breaker?

73 de KD9BO

Steve Weber

I want to know how God created the world.
I am not interested in this or that phenomenon,
in the spectrum of this or that element.
I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

  --Albert Einstein--