[TenTec] external signal source

JEFF S JOHNSON aa8ve@juno.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:20:00 -0400

I don't think you'll find a better VFO than one based on the PTO. While
it may be possible to use something else I don't think it would be an
improvement. The drawback with all PTOs is they are temp sensitive. You
can turn off the cpu by turning the rig off and on quickly. This locks
out the cpu and keyer, display etc. but receiver works very well. I've
not tried to xmit this way but I've heard QRPers doing it.  I have also
talked to a few Scout owners that have disconnected the freq. locking
system to run it "the old way".   At any rate it's fun to play around
with this stuff.   I once tried to run my Omni-V using an RF generator in
place of the PLL VFO. That was interesting. Stable? Not even close, it
sounded like something from a 1950s si-fi flick but it did work! There is
something called the Digi-vfo or something which is a kit. It can be ran
off a pc but I think you'll end up in harmonic heaven.

Jeff aa8ve   I run a TEN*TEC therefore I am !