[TenTec] Comparison Orion vs TS850 ?

Ulrich Hilsinger dh0ghu at dh0ghu.de
Sun Dec 21 21:57:37 EST 2003

Hello,

I actually think about replacing one of my two TS850s by an Orion.
Unfortunately, I had no chance to find an ORION owner here in the
southwestern corner of Germany, resulting in no possiblity of making
pre-buy comparison tests.

Did anybody reading this was doing a direct comparison between those two
rigs ? For me, it seems shure that the ORION will behave much better on
bands such as 40m and 80m than the TS850 - at least as long as this one
has no INRAD filters installed. But how did he performs on higher bands,
where sensitivity is a bit more important ? MDS seems to be much higher
at the 850, but is it really the important point (in my opinion, some
japanese rigs are just far too sensitive on 10/12/15m... the only
drawback often is the low IF amplification).
Another important task for me is the interconnectivity with ACOM1000
amps, but also the ease of use with transverter systems for VHF/UHF, as
well as the compatibility to HEIL headsets, etc. ...

Comments are very appreciated, regarding both, SSB and CW operation, in
normal DX business as well as in Contest environments...

73, merry christmas and best wishes for 2004,

Ulrich, dh0ghu
dh0ghu at dh0ghu.de
http://www.dh0ghu.de/