[TenTec] hp Z3801A GPS Unit

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Sat Jun 7 11:24:51 EDT 2003

Aloha,

Boy are those guys fast!  I ordered one with PS and antenna
on Wednesday;  I think I phoned to Florida.

It was delivered early Friday afternoon!

I have my "breakout cable" prepared.  Found an old DB25
cord with an M on one end and F on the other.  Just
opened it,  and cut all the wires EXCEPT the
2, 3, and 7 (for RS232) wires.  So only the TD, RD and signal
ground go through.  I note these are exactly the same
pins used for these signals on the hp RS422 connector.

Can I just now connect them together,  or are they different
voltage levels;  thus the need for the "interface" unit
previously discussed??  Guess I don't understand what
the interface system does,  unless it is a way to either
rid or sum together the "other" signals from the hp rcvr.

However,  I have neither powered up the unit,  nor connected
together pending either getting an interface unit or learning
that the thought above is correct now that I have all else
coming out the hp connector "blocked".

73,  Jim  KH7M