[TenTec] Omni VI with option 1 versus IC-746

WILLIAM MANSEY wa2pvk at msn.com
Wed May 28 23:23:19 EDT 2003

Hello Chip,  It depends on what you intend to use the rig for.  If you have
a limited budget and can only afford ONE rig for now - The IC-746 is pretty
decent.  It provides the internal tuner for HF use and the rig also covers 6
and 2 meters. I did not get any optional filters with mine but did find that
the twin passband tuning was quite effective.  It is NOT a bad rig -
especially at the prices that a new one can be had at now!  If you want one
rig to do a lot of things - then a rig like the 746 is a good choice.
Personally I prefer separate rigs for HF and VHF.  For superior HF (only)
performance you would do well with either an Omni VI or Jupiter.  THERE!  I
think I did a great job of NOT answering your question!  Sorry about that.
Hopefully, however, this information will actually provide SOME help.
wa2pvk at msn.com Please visit my home page: http://mysite.verizon.net/wa2pvk