[TenTec] 253 Auto tuner questions

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sun Sep 14 09:20:49 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a model 253 Automatic Antenna Coupler. I have
not yet connected the "band information" cable to my Omni VI. Actually I
don't have a cable yet and I guess I'll have to build one. My question
is about the bands. According to the manual for the 253 the band
information consists of pulling one (and only one) of seven parallel
lines to +12 VDC to indicate one of only seven bands. Seven does not
seem like enough. My Omni has nine band select buttons, and I would
really like to have more than one preset tuning in memory for each band.
I'll probably want three or four for 160 meters, three for 80/75 and at
least two for 40. I suppose one  memory for each of the higher bands
might suffice. Perhaps someone else has already done this. I am
interested to hear how you may have gone about it. I have considered
using a seven position switch instead of connecting it to the Omni VI. I
have also been thinking about adding multiple 2404 EEPROM chips and a
chip enable selector. Any ideas?

Thanks , Ken N6KB