[TenTec] More about power supply for my Argo V

Edward Crawford w4wvw at msn.com
Wed Apr 14 21:34:52 EDT 2004

FB, Larry. I think you will be better off with the new supply. Better to be safe than sorry. No sense taking the risk with the new rig no more than the new supply costs. Good luck with the new station.

Ten-Tec sold an accessory or aftermarket over voltage protection circuit that was used in line with the 252/262 power supplies, model #1150, that killed the output of the supply in the event of high voltage conditions. No longer available from Ten-Tec but sometimes found on the used market. I have a schematic for one of these and info about building this OVP circuit yourself, courtesy of Pete, W6JFR. Just a handful of parts and could be done inline or inside the supply. Would be glad to copy this and send it to you if you like.
The 252/262's had over-current protection but at 18-20 amps. I suppose you could use a 7 amp Airpax circuit breaker inline to protect the Argo V in the event you were drawing high current thru the finals such as a high SWR condition.

I didn't know anything about this less than a year ago so we owe it all to the fine inhabitants of this reflector who are much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I'll ever pretend to be!

73. cul de ed w4wvw ...