[TenTec] Omni VI+ destined as a classic?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Jul 20 08:06:42 EDT 2004

> Somehow I feel cheated.  Over the years I've come to realize that my Omni
6+
> is missing a lot of the features others have mentioned.

I've heard the issue of the noisy reed relay before and I've come to the
conclusion that some TT reed relays are significantly louder than others
(perhaps due to differences across OEMs).  When I changed the reed relay in
my Triton IV, the new relay was extremely noisy.  After trial and error with
a few other samples, I had little trouble in finding one that was
essentially "noise-less."

I suspect the same is true of the Omni Six.  My Omni produces no relay
noise.  In fact, the quiet whisper fan that sits atop my other gear
completely masks the sound of the relay.  I have to put my ear next to the
Omni cabinet before I can even detect the slightest trace of a "tick" sound.

With the TCXO on board, and a few changes to the BFO and ALC circuitry, the
Omni Six really shines on CW.  I keep looking at newer rigs, but I can't
help but get the feeling that I'll be disappointed when others are compared
against the Six.

-Paul, W9AC