[TenTec] Orion Bandscope

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Sun May 2 18:21:06 EDT 2004

The Orion's sweep really does not have the resolution to more than approximately indicate another stations RX bandwidth. An extra wide spike does indicate wide band SSB, wider means AM, and narrow is CW but that's about all.

The sweep does "smear" a noise burst somewhat, making impulse noise look like transitory and fairly wideband signals. Noise bursts are not something I willingly listen to, so I try to ignore such.

On the other hand, even quite a small but steady "spike" indicates a faily weak signal. With some practice you can easily find stations down to S1 or so, and even weaker on a quiet band. Right now, with the Orion on 7.009 and S3 to 4 QRN from the storm front that passed here last night I can see 8, no 9, weak CW stations and two quite strong ones on the lower 25 kHz of 40 Meters. Just being able to "take a look around" a band without spending a lot of time doing it makes it useful but it's not something that I use constantly.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

-
Never squat with your spurs on