[TenTec] Omni VI 'Birdies'.

Mike zl1mh at nzart.org.nz
Mon May 24 04:04:52 EDT 2004

My Omni VI, option 1, suffered badly with birdies on 15, 12 & 10m, when I bought it in 1995.
I bought & installed a mod which essentially was a re-designed product detector on its own small daughter board, which mounts onto the Omni's IF/AF board.
G4PKT designed & sold the kit, but don't know if he has any left after this length of time. He's probably ok on qrz.com.  I still have the documentation, plus circuit, but don't know if its under any sort of patent-type restrictions. Anyway, I don't have scanning facilities, so can't email it, sorry!
This mod wiped out more than 80% of the birdies on my rig.
For any remaining birdies, I've found that pressing & holding the 'VOICE' button will completely silence them - &, at least on cw, all the rig's facilities are still ok. (I have no voice board fitted). I haven't been brave enough to hard-wire the VOICE button (limited knowledge!!!!). Maybe one of the gurus here can explain if this would be a harmless thing to do!
73 de Mike, zl1mh.