[TenTec] cw creation

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sat Apr 23 20:30:49 EDT 2005

Hi,

Regarding:

As I understand it, in many modern rigs cw keying is done by injecting an
audio tone (onto a ssb signal ?), rather than true on off carrier keying.
Could someone on the list help me understand this better, and could
someone also list which TT rigs produce "cw" which way?

I can tell you about the Omni VI and the Paragon, since I have manuals
with schematics for them. I cannot tell you about Jupiters or Onions.

Omni VI and Paragons use a BFO frequency for CW TX that is well within
the bandpass of the 2.4 kHz sideband selecting filter, and send a DC
offset to the balanced mixer, unbalancing, it to produce CW.