[TenTec] Paragon on RTTY

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Fri Nov 4 11:01:55 EST 2005

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I don't think it is a problem with the shift. My
receive technique is usually to tune until the mark or space moves off the
LED indicators on the KAM, note the frequencies, and split the difference. I
can run the 250 Hz filter in the Paragon and basically eliminate anyone off
frequency and get a great copy with everything set for 170Hz shift. It is
just that the frequency I receive the other station on is about 200Hz above
where I thought I was transmitting. is that 200Hz correct or should I try
170Hz? I don't know.

Interestingly, Stan at Ten Tec was reading the list and also replied moments
ago. He said that the Paragon can not receive true FSK and that using the
offset is a requirement. The stations I was working reported my frequency to
be exactly what I showed as a transmit frequency, if they could tell at all,
but I had to shift my rx up to get them. At first I thought it was just that
the person I was working was using AFSK and, in fact, had only a general
idea of where he was transmitting, but after 3 in a row....

I understand setting the specific frequencies as per the manual you mention,
but by listening to the WWV tone (from 440 to 600 Hz depending on the
minute) and adjusting the BFO's to not "shift" the tone when switching modes
at least gets the relative offsets correctly set, I believe. This is a
technique I have used on different radios over the years and it seems to
work very well. It seems the Paragon just doesn't supply the appropriate
offset in RTTY and uses LSB receive. I suppose I could adjust the RTTY
transmit offsets (C4 & C6) so that stations zero beating me would show up
where I "think" I am transmitting, but I would certainly want a freq counter
for that. Besides, others are already reporting my signal to be exactly
where I indicate I am transmitting. I suppose the easiest thing is to just
keep dialing in the +200 hz offset on receive when I run RTTY.

=Vic=
WA4THR