[TenTec] Crystals needed

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Jan 16 22:24:14 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 19:55 -0600, Danny Shaver wrote:
> Does anyone know of a source for the crystals for 17 and 12 meters in my Omni C, which is cheaper than Tentec, who want $25.00 each plus shipping. What type holder are they in. From my manual they appear to be 4.0 MHz for 17 meters and 10.5 MHz for 12 meters. Is this correct?
>
> Danny N5NBK,
ICM in Oklahoma City is very good and they charge accordingly.

I hear Peterson Crystal in Council Bluffs Iowa is still making ham
crystals. I don't have a catalog or a web page.

Ordinary frequencies like 4.000 MHz can often be found in small packages
from Mouser, www.mouser.com. Might need a bit of adaptation to fit the
sockets in the Omni C. With wire leads 520-HCA400-20X for 40 cents has a
chance of working. But I don't see any crystals in the Mouser catalog
for 10.500 MHz.

With the IF at 9 MHz, twice the IF is 18 MHZ, and the VFO also was mixed
to 9 MHz, and twice that is 18 MHz, guaranteed strong transmitter spurs
on 17 meters.

73, Jerry, K0CQ