[TenTec] Satellite Internet de W1AEL in tennessee

Edward A. Feustel efeustel at hughes.net
Sun May 20 15:04:35 EDT 2007

> Re: [TenTec] Satellite Internet de W1AEL in tennessee
> From:
> "Allan H. Kaplan" <w1ael at arrl.net>
> Date:
> Sun, 20 May 2007 10:22:44 -0400
> To:
> "Ten-Tec list at contesting.com" <tentec at contesting.com>
>
> To:
> "Ten-Tec list at contesting.com" <tentec at contesting.com>
> CC:
> k4elo at fastmail.fm
>

> Wayne,
> I have the OMNI VII and Wildblue Satellite Internet at home, and based
> on my experience with Web access on this marginal  provider, I would
> not even try to operate my home station via the Internet!  There is an
> amount of delay in response that would be intolerable for all but
> pre-arranged ham radio QSOs with folks who know your situation. I
> cannot speak for Directway Satellite ISP performance, though.  I have
> operated OMNI VII remotely via wireless internet, and it is pretty
> good and getting better.  Full disclosure:  I am a former engineering
> employee of Ten-Tec (retired) and still help out on occasion.
> Hope this helps. Allan W1AEL.

Allan,
I have Hughes.Net (formerly Direcway) Satellite Internet.
I concur. One delay is to the satellite. A second is to the ground station.
Then there is the internet delay that could be across the continent and
back.
If there are acknowledgments, there are two more satellite distance delays.

If the remote transceiver is also on Satellite Internet, the delays are
twice as long.

The latency is not suitable for control of remote phone or cw operation.
Ed, N5EI