[TenTec] 588 Bandwidth splits - the easier way.

CSM(r) Gary Huber glhuber at msn.com
Sat Jun 19 19:31:28 PDT 2010

While setting wide and narrow Band Width / mode splits for pile-up busting, I discovered its easier than I previously posted. You do NOT need to use different band registers for CW and SSB Dxing.

I use the "D" register for each band. Set the frequency inside the band. Push "A=B"; push "SPL"; Push "Mode" then the correct SSB for the band (LSB 160, 80, 40; USB 20, 15, 10).  Set the BW to 500.

Push "A/B"; Push "Mode" then the CW mode corresponding to the SSB set above (to keep the signal with the same pass band relationship) LCW for LSB or UCW for SSB; Set the BW to 2400.

Do the above procedure for each band. Once set up, it's just a matter of going to the desired band and the "split" register (D in my case) and the cross mode BW splits are configured.

For CW DX, push the "A/B"  until the Mode is USB or LSB, tune to the DX, set the BW to a comfortable narrow value, push "A/B"; UCW or LCW is displayed, tune to the pile, set the BW to a wide value. Push "A/B" to RX on the DX / TX in the pile or Push "A/B" to listen to the pile and NOT transmit on the DX.

For SSB DX, push the "A/B"  until the Mode is UCW or LCW, tune to the DX, set the BW to a comfortable narrow value, push "A/B"; USB or LSB is displayed, tune to the pile, set the BW to a wide value. Push "A/B" to RX on the DX / TX in the pile or Push "A/B" to listen to the pile and NOT transmit on the DX.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705