[TenTec] What Radio?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Sep 11 00:05:27 PDT 2011

IMHO, with my style of operating, the scenario he described would probably
happen to me twice in my lifetime.

For the additional bucks of buying a rig with 200w, I'll buy an amp instead.
Then I can notice a difference several times per day.

Though technically 100% correct, unless you are sitting on your rig every
evening or every morning, just at band opening or band close and just happen
to hear that one signal that's right on the edge, you will probably never
encounter the case where you worked the guy with 200w but couldn't with
100w.

QSB is typically more than 3dB.  You just have to get your timing right.

If every transceiver on the market were available in 2 versions, 100w and
200w, and you paid only $50 for the additional power, I'd probably go for
it.  But that's not the case.  Going for a 200w rig probably means I buy a
different rig altogether than I originally planned to buy.  That doesn't
make sense to me.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Richards
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2011 2:41 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What Radio?

Serious question --   So... where does it stop ?   If 200 watts makes a
100 watt rig just a bit better, why would a 300 watt amp not make that
200 watt rig just a bit better and find you even more DX ?   And so on
down the slippery slope to megawatts, each little bit digging more DX
out than the previous bit?

How far down the slippery slope do we go before diminishing returns
cancels any marginal value from marginal additional power?    What
circumstances and factors would force a different answer for different
operators?

	(Serious question - not just making an argument. --
	Personally, I find the maximum usable power is about 450-500
	watts... any more and I don't make more contacts that I do
	at that level, but should this not differ depending on antenna
	type and deployment, and other factors such as external
	noise levels, etc.??)

Happy Trails.