[TenTec] Radial Research

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon May 21 00:07:43 PDT 2012

Cool.     Just think what he could do with a REAL antenna !!     ;-)

But seriously, folks:

You advance an odd sort of argument.   Apparently, you consider it more
admirable to enter a contest and fight tooth and nail for every contact,
knowing beforehand the entire enterprise is doomed because the operator
has selected a particularly, undersized, puny antenna.

Now I don't criticize the guy for doing his best with what he has...
certainly he shows a lot of determination... but I don't t accept the
tacit premise it is somehow more admirable to participate in a contest
with a lousy antenna - at least not without knowing why he cannot have
better.

Your story suggests the operator chose to enter the contest contest with
a severely limited antenna, suggesting it is somehow more manly or
admirable to contest with a crappy antenna.    But, without knowing
more,  I regard that as a self-inflicted wound - like taking a rubber
knife to a gun fight.   Custer stood tall in the saddle, but he is
hardly to be admired.   In contrast, I more admire the operators who
look to improve their lot.

This premise sorta like claiming it is more admirable to fight one's way
through a contest working QRP and a wire antenna tossed over a tree -
that this is somehow more manly than using 100 watts and a better
antenna.    I do not accept the premise that he is more courageous
because he chose to compete with such a lousy antenna.   If you tell us
that is the very best he can do... that will be another story... but
that is not how it is being presented.   The argument seems to be he is
an inspiration because he chose to compete with a seriously crippled
antenna.  I like his spunk... but hardly think he is more admirable
because of his antenna selection.  You sure he could not have installed
ANYTHING ELSE as a better antenna?

As for mamby pamby whiners, I don't know who you are referring to.

I do not recall anybody doing that here -- Instead, what I have
witnessed are several fellers discussing how to improve their lot, and
how to wring the most out of various antenna designs (e.g., more radials
may improve vertical antenna performance), which I regard as exemplary
of the good old ham tradition of experimenting and improving one's station.

Be assured,  I am NOT criticizing the operator in any way... I admire
him for giving it his best shot.   Nevertheless, I think he MIGHT have a
LOT BETTER SHOT if he installed a better antenna system.   One must do
with what one has,  but it is misplaced to suggest anyone else is a
sissy because he looks to improve his station.

Maybe I misunderstand your position, but that is... er... um...

Just MY take, anyway.    Happy Trails and good DX to ya  !!