[TenTec] USER INTERFACE: Wish List for ORION-III

PA5MW, Mark pa5mw at home.nl
Tue Apr 8 13:15:17 EDT 2014

Dear,

We have been discussing the ORION III within our contest team and
clubstation (2x 565+1x 566) for some time now.
We would like to express our vision, but divided it in separate main
areas so others can chime in.

ORION III User Interface:

- Leave the current form factor as is.

- Large knobs plse.

- It was and still is innovative; TenTec was and still IS ahead of
competition

- Keep the current Large ANALOG  S-meter

- Keep the TX/RX antenna VFO matrix switching board (Sublime !  Ever
tried a K3-disaster?)

- Keep the large VFO knobs  (plse never exchange it for that dull
miniature as found on K3/FT5K/IC78)

- Keep showing functions and current settings on display

What upgrades for the UI?

- Modular display setup per user.  (screen totally changes in design and
functions, tailored to user)

- Start from a few generic interface designs like
DX'er/Contester/RTTY/Ragchewer.

- Make it fully customizeable, so users can enable/disable
functions/buttons etc. from the screen.

- More color settings, or again; customizable

- Please DO NOT try to copycat 'fashion stuff' from competition

- Focus on supplying the 'fun factor' in operating the rig

- Add new interface comm like USB and other, to accommodate
contesting/dx software

- Think about a restricted/easy to use pre-defined (receiver)settings
(for those hams who just want to do simple radio like an old TS850)

- Do not add bandscope, unless it can do waterfall at the realtime speed
like any decent SDR

- Keep doing what TenTec does best; deliver a great transceiver with an
innovative user interface, supplying the biggest fun factor in Hamradio.

73 Mark, PA5MW