[TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Thu Apr 24 14:36:51 EDT 2014

On 4/24/2014 1:39 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:

>> Jim, I agree.  Advertising dollars is the reason.

I am not entirely convinced by the ad dollar argument.  I doubt Yaesu
would pull all its ads because QST magazine says something silly or
reports a poor reciprocal mixing dynamic range figure.  Most guys don't
even know what that is.  Witness the discussion on the FTdx3000 forum
when the ARRL and Sherwood mentioned it.  Believe me... they will buy
the rig, and enjoy it, and have no clue what that is all about, no
matter what the Rob and the ARRL Lab say.  Seems like Sherwood gave the
Omni VII some bad numbers, but non one mentions them here...   ;-)

Besides, where else would they advertise?  QST can simply report the
numbers without much textual comment, and let the ham community work it
out by the numbers.  I doubt Yaesu or Icom will pull all their ads
because the ARRL lab says the rig has -2 dBm in stead of -35 dBm on some
spec or other.  Consider all the flap over the FTdx3000 reciprocal
mixing dynamic range as reported by ARRL and Sherwood.  For a week or
so, a very few owners cried foul, and there was big talk about false
advertising and fraud ... but TODAY Yaesu is STILL running the SAME ads
as it ran before, and selling boatloads of them.  Same ads.  Business as
usual.  No problem.