[TenTec] OMNI V Frequency Changes

David and Dianne on Comcast dhhdeh at comcast.net
Fri Feb 28 00:05:10 EST 2014

Bob,

There is no master reference TCXO or crystal oven
in the Omni V as in the Omni VI.

And as the frequency display is not a frequency
counter as in the Corsair II, the display and the
actual frequency of the radio as controlled by the
L/O will change relative to each other as its
temperature of the Omni V changes while in use.
It's frustrating to some and not to others. No
amount of cleaning of contacts or variable caps
etc, will materially improve this condition.

The calibration feature of the N4PY V.9 chip will
allow for operator compensation for this situation
by freezing the display while you tune the radio
for better accuracy on the fly. The N4PY V.9 chip
is a "must have" for the Omni V.

IMO this frequency display without a reference
frequency control provision was a foolish
engineering/design decision and compromised the
Omni V which otherwise is a great radio and IMO
superior to the Omni VI in its RX audio quality.
The exclusion of a RIT/XIT control also caused it
to lose appeal with many operators. But I still
have mine and do like it to this day.

I had long discussions with Don Proudy of TT
service (who left the company several years ago)
about all of these Omni V issues. He was the Jedi
Master of the Corsair, CII. Omni V and Omni VI. At
his continued suggestion, TT mgmt. finally
relented and substituted the fluky crystal oven in
the early Omni VI's with a TCXO in its later
production runs. His departure resulted in a loss
of a lot of practical knowledge and experience
with all of these radios.

I have performed many great mods to my Omni V and
despite its design warts which are real and many,
it still outperforms many radios of current times
in the quality of receive audio and ease of use.

And finally as I responded on this forum back in
late October before I sold my Omni VII, whose
firmware revisions have still not been forthcoming
as promised, what is TT up to today? It's still a
mystery to me.

N1LQ-Dave