[TenTec] Scout has vy low Pwr out on some bands

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Wed Jul 16 03:47:16 EDT 2014

 >This is the way we cleaned contacts when I worked for Rhode und
Schwarz in the 70s, repairing Tektronix oscilloscopes.

This brings back memories, as I used to repair and calibrate Tektronix
oscilloscopes in the '70s too. Our procedure was to rinse them (the
whole scope) with deionized water. Wash them with a solution of water
and a product called "Kelite." Some sort of detergent from Allied
Chemical, rinse them with DI water again, and put them in a drying oven
for about a week. When we got them out of the oven we carefully applied
WD40 to every switch contact and connector using a small paintbrush. We
absolutely did not spray WD40 on anything. It was applied carefully only
to the contacts and the positioning ball/spring thing in rotary
switches, also the wipers on potentiometers. I suspect that DeOxit or
Cramolin would have been better than WD40, but WD40 is what we used. I'm
pretty sure we were following Tektronix recommended procedures.

 >The Q-Tip is a good idea. The problem is, the entire plug is very
narrow but long. It's hard to get down in there.
 > A Q-tip is probably the best bet.

I suggest that a small paintbrush may be a better option than a Q-Tip.
The cotton fibers of a Q-Tip could catch on something and be left behind
on the contact. I think with a tiny paint brush you have less chance of
leaving a bristle behind.

DE N6KB