[TenTec] Virtual Serial Port recommendation

K7TXO Radio k7txoradio at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:52:05 EDT 2014

Yes, HDSDR is the software.  Ultra busy at work this time of year so I
haven't been on the air or puttering with the SDR much right now.  Just
catching up on some of the messages, and thanks everyone for the excellent
input.

HDSDR was recommended for use with the Peaberry V2 SDR I built and
references to this software is used to test and bring up the radio during
construction process.  Kudo's to the designer of this radio and his
excellent step by step instructions.   You are working with SMD parts when
you build this radio and my older eyes make it a bit tougher but got it
done.  I did get the processor chip slightly skewed on the PCB but
everything else was perfect.  The tough part was removing the chip since the
PCB pads for that chip are closely spaced.  I decided to cut the chip legs
and then clean up the pads which worked fine.  I got a replacement chip and
after installing it, realized that the chip is more than just a processor;
it contains instructions that are pre-loaded into the chip by the Peaberry
designer in the chip he ships in the kit.  Ooops.  A raw chip has no clue
for example, that a USB port exists so you cannot just flip new firmware
into the chip without the initial programming that is not done through the
USB port.   Actually this kind of goof is a good thing; you learn a lot
although if I had studied this chip a bit more to begin with, I would have
bought a pre-programmed replacement, not a raw chip.  Anyway...

So I had to purchase a "PSC" Programming kit to make my raw chip smart
enough to recognize among other things, the USB port.  Any subsequent
firmware updates can be completed through the USB port now.  I already tried
that just to make sure and it works fine.  All of this great fun really and
learned a lot.

I have since used some other SDR software.  Just like our "hardware" radios,
each program has it's pros and cons but ultimately I have stayed with HDSDR
which also operates the QRP power transmitter on the Peaberry just fine too
although I am only using the receiver.  You can disable the transmit
function through software as I have done.  I just connect this SDR radio to
the IF tap in the Orion via a CLIFTON LAB buffer interface that is easy to
build, easy to mount and easy to tap into the Orion.  If I recall correctly,
I set the operational amplifier on this board with a resistor to provide
zero (unity) gain and the output from the Orion to the Peaberry is just
fine.

I tried installing K5FR's version of virtual serial port on my Windows 7 OS
and ran into an error with the Registry.  I am sure I could have fixed that
but since both versions of his software did not want to work unless I got
into tweaking permissions in registry, I decided to de-install and then
installed the ELTIMA VSP software which is licensed software you purchase to
see what happens when it installed.  This installed and runs perfectly
although I haven't configured virtual ports to work with any of my ham
programs yet but I see no problem doing that.

Having a blast with my modified and adapted 565 Orion and looking forward to
the next generation of radio that comes out.  As long as it still has knobs
and buttons, hi hi.

Gene  /  K7TXO