[TenTec] Noise from Fans

k6jek k6jek at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 18:41:48 EST 2014

Nicely done.

Not on Ten-Tec but on other gear I've built temperature controllers. Most of the time the fans run at a snail's pace and make essentially zero noise. They only pick up the pace when they need to. Some ham offers a nice little kit but I can't seem to find the contact information.

Incidentally, a friend who does thermal analysis as part of his engineering practice pointed out that horizontal fins on heat sinks work poorly without a fan. He threw out some numbers but I've forgotten them. I seem to recall quite a difference between horizontal and vertical fins with the same surface area. This was after I built a home brew AM transmitter with giant, horizontally-finned heat sinks for the MOSFETs. I do remember him saying it takes very little air from a fan to dramatically improve the situation. So that's what added, just a little bit of moving air.

Jon