[TenTec] repairs

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Oct 27 11:25:15 EDT 2014

Hey, now that looks SEXY.  I hope the price isn't too high.

It is old with new.  3-Pin mic connector, but also USB jack on the front
panel.
I wonder what the USB is doing on the front panel?  Hope there's another on
the back.

The only thing I don't like is the choice of IF filters:  Collins (ceramic
filter).
This means it is using mechanical (ceramic) filters which by today's
standards (not those 50 years ago) are low cost, but have relatively wide
skirts.  A good 455 kHz Xtal filter is significantly better, albeit much
more expensive.

Yaesu began this marketing ploy in the 1990's, and as I recall, the FT-900
was the first rig to get it.
They advertising the Collins filter as an advantage, but little known, also
sold an upgrade Xtal filter for $200.
I purchased the XTAL filter for my FT-900 and it indeed had much steeper
filter skirts, reducing splatter off the sides.

For the nay-sayers to whom the name "Collins Mechanical Filter" still brings
tears to the eyes, here's what the FT-900 user manual says on page 5:  (the
part **between the stars** is he important bit.)

"IF Crystal Filter Options:
For extra CW received selectivity, the 500-Hz XF-110C or 250-Hz XF-110CN
8-pole crystal filter may be installed in the 455-kHz 2nd IF of the FT-900.
**Also, for enhanced SSB and AM narrow receiver fidelity and ultimate
attenuation, the XF-110S 8-pole, 2.6-kHz crystal filter may be installed 'IN
PLACE OF THE STANARD CERAMIC FILTER'**"

So in order to get the best performance from the rig, you remove the filter
which they hyped in the first place.

One of the German ham rags measured this in the lab and confirmed the
difference in favor of the Xtal filter.

So before we jump to any false conclusions, we might want to wait and see
what the close-in BDR3 looks like.

However, it is indeed a brave undertaking.
Hope they follow through with this and it is affordable.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)