[TenTec] OCF Antennas - Which commercial antenna is gest?

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 22 15:19:56 EDT 2015

True,the theoretical impedance of free space is taken as 377 ohms, but
no earth bound antenna is in "free space", which implies well away from
other couplers, earth, ground, counterpoise, etc.

The nitrogen or helium filled radomes protect a ship board antenna from
the salt air.  The condensation of salt air at sea upon a HF antenna can
detune it from optimum operation.  That is why your friend's antennas
worked well, they were protected from corrosive salt air.

we fresh water washed down our sea borne or sea side antennas every work
shift before using them for this reason.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH