[TenTec] IC-7300 was Re: Omni VI instability, TCXO worth it?

Darrell Bellerive ve7iu at runbox.com
Wed Jul 13 12:23:31 EDT 2016

This is Icom's first try with a direct sampling radio and from
everything I have read, they seem to have done a lot of things right and
have produced a good product. Yes, it does have some issues and
shortcomings, but it will be interesting to see what Icom does with this
technology in the next few years. Icom has the potential, with this
technology, to put some pressure on the other radio manufacturers.

Just curious, what other radios can one purchase NEW at this price point
that are better for contesting?

HRO list the IC-7300 at $1500. At a similar price point HRO lists:

APACHE LABS   ANAN-10   SDR Transceiver HF & 6 Meters 10 Watts $1,599.00
ICOM IC-7410   HF / 50 MHz 100 Watt Multimode Transceiver $1,579.95
(Radio Discontinued)
KENWOOD TS-590SG   HF / 50 MHz 100 Watt Multimode Transceiver $1,309.95
KENWOOD TS-2000   HF / 50 / 144 / 430 MHz Multimode Transceiver - 100
Watts   $1,429.95
YAESU FTDX1200   HF + 6m Multi Mode Transceiver   $1,249.95

Ten-Tec is currently not selling any new radios, and I suspect their
price point will be much higher.
And except for the K-3, one could get into the other Elecraft radios for
a similar price.
The Flex radios are all priced much higher, except for the FLEX-1500.

73, Darrell VE7IU