[TenTec] OMNI 6

Bob, WB2VUF wb2vuf at verizon.net
Sun Mar 7 16:40:41 EST 2021

True, about the Paragon.  It takes a lot of time and expertise to keep
them running and to pay someone to fix them would be cost-prohibitive.
I've been inside mine 2 or 3 times fixing problems with both PLL
boards.  It's helpful to know where to probe to determine whether it's
the major or the minor loop causing the unlock condition.  I had a
friend whose Paragon I couldn't keep running for more than a few weeks
at a time:  First I fixed the PLL;  then  the power supply blew up;
then it wouldn't power up at all.  The last problem turned out to be a
cracked solder joint on the power control board, plus the relay coil
suppression diode, located /under/ the relay cover was shorted.

It /is/ a nice, radio, however, if you are good at troubleshooting...
and patient.  With everything going SDR,  the Paragons and Omnis  are in
the collector-boatanchor class. Will Ten-Tec stage a successful comeback?

73,

Bob WB2VUF

On 3/6/2021 10:03 AM, Bob McGraw wrote:
> John:
>
> I've owned several of the Paragon radios.   I really like the way they
> perform and the way they sound, both on RX and TX. However, I've found
> that they take an inordinate amount of time to maintain and repair.
> To wit, in more than one case I've experienced a PLL UNLOCK issue.  I
> tried several suggested approaches and found they may work, or may
> work for a little while.  The final solution.........entirely
> de-populate the PLL board, clean and plate the copper and then put the
> parts back in place.   Now you talk about time consuming........but it
> works. That's what it takes to permanently resolve the PLL UNLOCK
> issue.   Everything else is a band-aid.
>
> Sorry, can't help on the Argonaut 516 other than to say there is a
> Argonaut group on the GROUPS.IO site.  You might try there.
>
> 73
>
> Bob, K4TAX
>

> On 3/6/2021 7:11 AM, John Hodge wrote:
>> Snowy, I think Bob's advice is good. I gave up on a Paragon 585 a
>> while ago. Too much wrong. I have now dismantled it completely and
>> used the PA (which was good) plus a few other bits to make a 100w amp
>> for my Argo V 216. Built it into an old Argosy case, added a modern
>> auto ATU and it works fine. Best use of the 585 parts but there are
>> still most of the 585 PCBs if anyone wants them. Plus knobs and other
>> hardware.
>>
>> On a different note, the Argo 516 Power Level control is not working
>> - it's at full 20w power all the time, will not reduce. It used to
>> work OK. Anyone any ideas?
>> 73, John G8CCD
>>

>> On 06/03/2021 09:45, ROLAND HOWELL via TenTec wrote:
>>>
>>> Good Morning Bob, even if it is a cold one over here across the pond.
>>> Hope you and yours are staying clear of the pandemic.
>>> Thanks for your advice, just found out that there is NO case with it
>>> either, so i am going to give it a miss.
>>> stay well and safe
>>> 73
>>> Snowy G0HZE

>>> 81600 Pass Band Tuning board