TopBand: Message from 5A2A

baumgartner baumgartner@cww.de
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 11:33:30 -0800

Hello Topband Friends,

rcvd this bulletin 2day at my local BBS from 5A2A.

-------------------------snip-------------------------------------------------

Hello, DX'ers!

The contest is over, and we have enjoyed it!  We experienced some
unexpected
band openings, e.g. on Sunday afternoon on 10 meters to the USA, but had
hard time on the low bands with all the QRN there.  Our final QSO number
was
somewhat lower than expected, but a multiplier count of well over 650
made up
for it, so that we netted a final score of about 11.4 million points in
the
M/S category.  There are still some minor errors in the logbook which
have to
be cleared up, so we'll probably post our summary sheet after our return
Germany.

Thank you to everybody who called us and gave us those much-needed
points and
multipliers!  The good news is that our web server is now current and
include
all our contacts made so far, including all QSO's in the contest.  If
you'd
like to see on which bands and modes we have you in the log, please
visit our
web page at  http://www.afthd.tu-darmstadt.de/5a1a/ .  There will be two
more
uploads from Libya, on Tuesday and Wednesday morning (local time in
Europe).
We'll then post our entire log after our return, probably some time
during
the next weekend.

Our plans for the last days of our stay include some sight-seeing.
Please
understand that so far we have really only seen the QTH of the club
station
and our hotel.  As it is the first visit to Libya for all of us, we do
not
want to leave the country without getting at least a small impression of
the
city of Tripoli, and the countryside.  For that reason, we might not be
on
the bands at all times during the next days.  We will make a special
effort
to be on at night, though, paying special attention to the difficult
paths
on the low bands, especially JA and W on 160m.  Also, you can expect
some
more RTTY from here.

We will start packing on Wednesday, and hope to be active until Thursday
morning (again, that is local time).  If you still have any particular
need
for a QSO with us, please let us know through the reflector (this really
is
the preferred way), and we'll try to help you.

The QSO total has now exceeded 20,000 - including all the contacts made
in
the contest.  We hope to add a few thousand QSO's to that number up to
Thurs-
day.

The weather has changed a bit, it has become a little colder (but still
very
warm compared to the temperature in Germany right now), and it is
raining a
little from time to time.  The rain produces loud static crashes on 80m
and
160m, which does not make things very easy for us, so please be patient.

This is the news from Libya.  We very much appreciate your comments and
co-
operation, it is really great to have almost instant feedback to our
activity
by means of this reflector.  Keep your comments and suggestions coming,
please!

Greeting from Libya from an exhausted but happy 5A2A team!

CU on the bands!

forwarded by Mirko,DL6ET