Topband: Feedlines

Tom Rauch w8ji@akorn.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:41:21 -0400

> I you decide on coax you can get some great bargains on 75 ohm RG6.  In
> fact MCM (800-543-4330) has a 500 foot roll of dual foam RG-6 for under
> $100 bucks and you can easily separate it if you want 1000 feet.

While regular cable is OK above ground in areas free of critters, I
use flooded RG-6 (F6) for shorter runs (less than 1000 feet) and RG-
11 (F11) for long runs.

Flooded cable normally has a very tough jacket. It always has a
goo inside that seals the cable if something punctures the jacket.
The goo tastes bad to critters, even tree rats won't eat the cables.

The F prefix does not mean the cable is flooded. You have to look
at the cable or ask the vendor if it is flooded cable.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com