Topband: Power Coupling on 160 meters

John B. Mitchell k4iq@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:42:22 +0100

I don't believe in the Vertical/Horizontal hemisphere theory; and I think
belief, rather than empiricism, is what it calls for.  My "absolute
disaster" of a horizontal (inverted vee) at 100 feet took ninth place USA
multi-op from VA in the CQ 160 WW DX contest, and eighth in the world
multi-op in the ARRL 160 that same year.  I've since put up a vertical at
the same site, and, while I've had no time for a major effort in a contest
this year, it has performed somewhat better as far as I can tell, of course
on long haul, as would be expected.  Sometimes, close-in, IT'S the disaster!
I think the biggest misconception on Top Band centers on the importance of
take-off angles much below about 25 degrees.  The reason higher radiators do
so well at times is some of the time the ideal angle is around 30-45
degrees, due to increased absorption at the lower angles.

Verticals are great, I use them too.  But there is definitely a place for
horizontal radiators, especially over poor terrain and if space is limited.
There's no inherent reason why they won't work well, except some people
don't get them up high enough.  I'd like to have mine at 200 feet, then we'd
see what's what.